Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Starting Research...

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2009/nov/25/theatre-review-nation-olivier-pratchett

'Nation' recreated by The National Theatre


I decided to look further into past performances of the play and started off by jumping straight into the National Theatre's version of it. I read a few reviews on it and was surprised on what critics had written about it. I've never had any bad comments on their pieces and most of the time they to tend to be very impressive. However in this one review that's not the case. Most recently I've been to watch Shakespeare's 'Othello' and 'The Light Princess'. In my opinion the National Theatre juggle with a wide spectrum of target audiences and varied genre. I also think they're very successful in bringing any fairytale-like narrations to life. 'The Light Princess' was just that and so I think it links quite a lot to 'Nation'. Both have the responsibly of eradicating make belief and transforming audiences' minds to believe anything is possible. 
This picture that was accompanied by the review is a clear shot of what their costumes looked like and how realistic to the actual book they tried to make it. The photograph is of Pilu and Mau's Father. Both are characters who come from a tribal background and contrast to the life Daphne is used to. They're utilised masks in their piece, something we can definitely take into consideration. I doubt we'll have any big costume but aspects of it such as feathers and paint could be very useful in our recreation of 'Nation',                               

Terry Pratchett in response to the criticism went to see the production based on his novel. 



No comments:

Post a Comment